DEN HAAG | 11.07.2016.

DEADLINES SET FOR APPEAL AGAINST VOJISLAV SESELJ'S JUDGMENT

According to an order issued by the pre-appellate judge Theodor Meron, Vojislav Seselj will have 80 days from the date he receives the Serbian version of his judgment to read it and re-spond to the prosecution's appellate brief
DEN HAAG | 08.07.2016.

DEADLINES FOR FINAL BRIEFS EXTENDED

The new provisional deadline for final briefs in the Ratko Mladic case is 3 October 2016, the judges said at the status conference today. The definitive date will be set once the pending issues related to Mladic’s defense case have been dealt with
Den Haag | 04.07.2016.
New Interactive Narrative produced by SENSE-Transitional Justice Center

SREBRENICA: GENOCIDE IN EIGHT ACTS

In addition to the full audio visual presentations produced for the SENSE Documentation Centre in Potočari, the interactive narrative contains a selection of court exhibits, including some 250 key documents, video recordings and photographs introduced into evidence on different 'Srebrenica trials'
Den Haag | 04.07.2016.

MLADIC’S DEFENSE MOTION FOR MISTRIAL DENIED

The fact that two legal advisors to the Trial Chamber sitting in the Radovan Karadzic case had assisted the judges who will be deliberating Ratko Mladic’s judgment does not call into question the integrity of the trail and the presumption of impartiality of the judges in the case against the former VRS Main Staff commander, the Trial Chamber rules
30.06.2016.

22-YEAR SENTENCES CONFIRMED IN ZUPLJANIN AND STANISIC CASE

The Tribunal's Appeals Chamber has confirmed the first instance judgment in the case against former Bosnian Serb police leaders Mico Stanisic and Stojan Zupljanin. The two accused were sentenced to 22 years in prison each by the trial chamber and those sentences have been conformed too. They were convicted of crimes against Bosnian Muslims and Croats, committed between early April and late December 1992. Their defence teams failed to prove that the Danish judge Harhoff was 'biased', although he had been disqualified from the chamber in the Vojislav Seselj case
Den Haag | 27.06.2016.

WAS DEFENSE LAWYER IN CONTEMPT OF COURT?

Goran Petronijevic, a member of Radovan Karadzic’s defense team, has been invited to clarify by 11 July 2016 the circumstances under which he had disclosed to the media the contents of a confidential submission. After that, it will be decided if there are grounds to prosecute him for contempt of court before the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals
DEN HAAG | 26.06.2016.
Next Week at the Tribunal

STANISIC AND ZUPLJANIN JUDGMENT DUE ON THURSDAY

On Thursday, 30 June, the Tribunal's Appeals Chamber will deliver the final judgment in the case against the former Bosnian Serb police chiefs, Mico Stanisic and Stojan Zupljanin
DEN HAAG | 23.06.2016.

DEFENSE: POSTPONE CLOSING ARGUMENTS UNTIL JANUARY 2017

Ratko Mladic’s defense wants the judges to extend the deadline for the submission of final briefs from 1 September to 7 December 2016. According to the defense, the closing arguments should begin on 12 January 2017. Mladic’s defense expects Russian colonel Demurenko to complete his evidence ‘some time in July 2016’. Last week Demurenko left home in the middle of his cross-examination
Den Haag | 16.06.2016.

DEMURENKO LEFT BEFORE COMPLETING EVIDENCE

Russian colonel Andrei Demurenko failed to show up in court this morning. The witness was expected to continue his evidence in Ratko Mladic’s defense. The presiding judge said that Demurenko had left Holland ‘after midnight’. The judges asked the defense and the prosecution to present their positions on what should be done with Demurenko’s statement and unfinished evidence. Mladic waived his right to attend the hearing and was absent today
Den Haag | 15.06.2016.

CONFUSED COLONEL AND SOPHISTICATED PROSECUTOR

In the cross-examination, Russian colonel Andrei Demurenko complained about the prosecutors ‘skillfully confusing’ him with their ‘sophisticated questions’. Demurenko argued that he ‘cannot follow their logic all the time’ because he is just a soldier. The Trial Chamber didn’t allow the witness to shake hands with the accused Mladic
DEN HAAG | 14.06.2016.

CONSPIRACY AGAINST SERBS, UN’S PARTIALITY AND BOSNIAK AGGRESSION

In his evidence in Ratko Mladic’s defense, Russian colonel Andrei Demurenko talked about his investigation of the Markale incident of 28 August 1995. A total of 43 citizens of Sarajevo were killed and 75 were injured in the incident. According to Demurenko, the explosion was staged. The United Nations were biased and covered up the ‘Bosniak aggression against Serbs’. Bosniaks opened fire on their own people, Demurenko claimed
DEN HAAG | 12.06.2016.
Next Week at the Tribunal

MLADIC’S FINAL DEFENSE WITNESS TO TESTIFY

In October 2012, Russian colonel Andrei Demurenko was Radovan Karadzic’s first defense witness. Now, Demurenko returns to court as the last witness in Ratko Mladic’s defense case
DEN HAAG | 08.06.2016.

BACK IN 1990s

In their reports to the UN Security Council, the Tribunal’s president and its chief prosecutor have strongly criticized Serbia for its failure to comply with the warrants for the arrest of three members of the Serbian Radical Party. Croatia has been reprimanded for obstructing regional cooperation in the prosecution of war crime cases. The chief prosecutor has expressed his concern about the political situation in the region, highlighting the politicians who are ‘repeating nationalistic slogans of the past’
DEN HAAG | 03.06.2016.

APPELLATE JUDGMENT FOR STANISIC AND ZUPLJANIN ON 30 JUNE 2016

The Appeals Chamber will render the final judgment in the case against two former Bosnian Serb police leaders, Mico Stanisic and Stojan Zupljanin, on Thursday, 30 June 2016
Den Haag | 01.06.2016.

PROSECUTION: REJECT MLADIC’S MOTION

According to the prosecution, the credibility and impartiality of the judges are not jeopardized bythe fact that some of the legal advisers appointed to assist the trial chamber in Mladic’s case had previously worked with the judges who convicted Radovan Karadzic