THE HAGUE | 02.09.2015.

ALL QUIET IN THE CASE AGAINST FORMER HERCEG BOSNA OFFICIALS

The appellate proceedings in the case against former Herceg Bosna officials continue as scheduled. The appeals were filed in January 2015, and the responses and rejoinders were filed in May 2015. The judgment is expected in mid-2017. The appellate hearing will be scheduled later
THE HAGUE | 02.09.2015.

MLADIC’S TRIP FROM CRNA RIJEKA TO BELGRADE

At Ratko Mladic's trial, the defense called his former driver Mladjen Kenjic as a witness. Kenjic claims he drove the former Main Staff commander to Belgrade on 14 July 1995. According to the witness, he drove Mladic back from Belgrade to Crna Rijeka on 17 July 1995 at noon. Kenjic claimed that they didn’t stop anywhere along the road. They did not see anything out of the ordinary on their trip, Kenjic told the judges
THE HAGUE | 01.09.2015.

SERB VICTIMS OR VICTIMS OF SERBS

The list of victims from Sarajevo that the defense witness brought with him contains names of soldiers killed in combat as well as Serb civilians killed by Serb shells, snipers or Mladic’s soldiers, the prosecution argues. Defense witness Simo Tusevljak says that further checks would be needed in order to establish the truth
THE HAGUE | 01.09.2015.

KARADZIC DEMANDS A STATUS CONFERENCE AGAIN

The accused has asked the Trial Chamber to schedule a status conference to discuss his health which has deteriorated recently. Karadzic wants to talk about the general conditions in the Detention Unit and how they affect the increasingly poor health of the detainees as well as the prosecution's failure to disclose evidence on time
THE HAGUE | 01.09.2015.

JUDGE ANTONETTI TO WITHDRAW IN A BID TO DEFEND JUDGES' INTEGRITY

'How can we accept a system in which the President, who chooses the judges at his discretion, rules in the Appeals Chamber, then in the review Chamber and in the appeal of the review decision?', asks Judge Jean-Claude Antonetti in a bid to justify his decision to withdraw from the chamber considering Milan Lukic’s appeal against the dismissal of his motion for a review of his judgment
THE HAGUE | 31.08.2015.

MLADIC’S WITNESS: ‘3,300 SERBS KILLED IN SARAJEVO’

According to defense witness Simo Tusevljak, a post-war investigation of the Republika Srpska interior ministry showed that 3,300 Serbs were killed in Sarajevo. Prosecutor Edgerton didn’t contest the fact that crimes against Serb civilians had been perpetrated but she insisted the victim list contained a number of mistakes. Some names were listed twice and Serbs killed in the artillery attacks launched by Mladic’s army on the city, such as the first Markale town market massacre on 5 February 1994, were also included on the list
THE HAGUE | 30.08.2015.
Next Week at the Tribunal

TWO WITNESSES AND A STATUS CONFERENCE

Crime inspector from Ilidza Simo Tusevljak continues his evidence at the trial of Ratko Mladic. Mladjen Kenjic will be the next witness. Kenjic was the driver of the accused during the war and he will testify about the nature and duration of Mladic’s stay in Belgrade at the time when the Srebrenica inhabitants were being executed en masse. Mladic will not be the only accused in the Tribunal’s courtrooms next week. There will be a status conference on Wednesday in the case against six Bosnian Croats headed by Prlic
THE HAGUE | 27.08.2015.

POPOVIC GOES TO GERMANY

Theodor Meron, the president of the Mechanism for the International Criminal Tribunal, has decided that Vujadin Popovic will serve the remainder of his life sentence in Germany. Based on a previous decision issued by President Meron, the accused convicted to life must serve at least 30 years of their sentence before applying for early release
THE HAGUE | 27.08.2015.

'I CONTEST METHODOLOGY, NOT FIGURES'

On the last day of her evidence in Ratko Mladic’s defense, Svetlana Radovanovic explained that she didn’t want to contest the number of the people who went missing or were killed in Srebrenica. The purpose of her testimony was to explain that in her view the methodology applied by the prosecution’s experts was not in line with the current scientific standards. Radovanovic is a professor of demography and statistics from Belgrade
THE HAGUE | 25.08.2015.

SREBRENICA – MASSACRE OR ACCIDENT?

Ratko Mladic’s expert Svetlana Radovanovic criticized the prosecution’s expert for using the term massacre in her description of the events following the fall of Srebrenica in July 1995. The witness said that her science knew of only three types of violent death – murder, suicide or accidental. Radovanovic noted that she couldn’t tell which of the three happened after Mladic’s troops entered Srebrenica
THE HAGUE | 24.08.2015.

DEFENSE EXPERT: PROSECUTION ‘MIXING APPLES AND ORANGES’

According to defense demography expert Svetlana Radovanovic, the conclusion that about 8,000 Srebrenica men went missing after Mladic’s troops entered the town in July 1995 is ‘nothing but manipulation’ and the result of ‘mixing apples and oranges’ with a single goal – to inflate the number of victims
THE HAGUE | 23.08.2015.
Next Week at the Tribunal

MLADIC’S DEFENSE TO PRESENT EXPERT REPORT ON SREBRENICA VICTIMS

Next week Ratko Mladic’s defense will examine Svetlana Radovanovic, a demography expert whose evidence should assist the defense to contest the methodology and conclusions presented by Ewa Tabeau and Helge Brunborg on the number of the Srebrenica victims. Former RS MUP official Simo Tusevljak will resume his testimony, begun in July 2015, before the Tribunal’s summer recess
THE HAGUE | 21.08.2015.

GORAN HADZIC 'WOBBLES AND SHAKES SLIGHTLY'

After he examined Goran Hadzic, Belgian oncologist Pol Specenier concluded that the results were more or less 'normal'. Hadzic can look after himself and can move, but is not able to perform any tasks. The doctor expects Hadzic's 'condition to worsen'
THE HAGUE | 20.08.2015.

MARRIED COUPLE CONFIRMS MLADIC’S ALIBI

Biljana and Zarko Stojkovic described in minute detail the course of their wedding that took place on 16 July 1995. The accused Ratko Mladic was the best man at their wedding. The witnesses thus corroborated the defense case that the accused couldn’t have communicated with his forces in the field in that period. According to the defense, Mladic stayed late at the wedding and wasn’t able to return to the Main Staff that same day. Mladic announced he would give a gift to ‘comrade Orie…when I am released’
THE HAGUE | 19.08.2015.

WHO TERRORIZED WHOM IN SARAJEVO

In his evidence at Ratko Mladic's trial, Gojko Draskovic initially agreed that the war in Sarajevo ‘inflicted damage on both sides’, only to state later in his evidence that the BH Army ‘terrorized’ Serb civilians and soldiers